Student Visa to Study Abroad

Student Visa to Study Abroad

Los Angeles

A visa is a document that gives you permission to enter a foreign country. A student visa is only given out to people who have a confirmed place of study at a registered institution for a set period of time. Different countries have different visa requirements, so your first step should be the embassy website of the country you want to study in.You should always apply for a visa before you travel to your study destination. You will normally have to wait until you have a confirmed offer from a university before you can submit your visa application and you may have to apply in person at an embassy.


To Make A Strong Student Visa Application

Globalduniya provides you with the extremely simple solutions to process your visa application. Nowadays visa application processing has become easy but still there is a scope of getting visa refusal.In order to make the stressful visa process concise and methodical.Our Visa team offers expert guidance to ensure all paperwork are filled in correctly and all relevant supporting documents are well organized so that the chances for getting a Visa can probably be increased by 100%. Visa experts at globalduniya will make everything easy to understand, clear and hassle-free and answer all your queries till you are satisfied. At Globalduniya we guaranteed customer satisfaction!


In this blog we will discuss about how to score a student Visa on an Indian Passport 

Visa Application Processing as a DIY

Student Visa For US



A citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a non-immigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.As an Indian student intending to study in the U.S.A., you will need to acquire a U.S.A. student visa from a U.S. Embassy near you.The U.S. Embassies in India are located in New Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Chennai, and Mumbai.


Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa.

F-1 Visa:

This is the most common type of student Visa. If you want to engage in academic studies offered by an approved school in the U.S., you will need the F-1 Visa. F-1 is required if your course of study is for more than 18 hours in a week. F-1 Visa Id not issued for students who want to attend public elementary school or a public funded adult education program. F-1 Visa is issued if you intend to attend a public secondary school, but the student will be limited to a maximum of 1 year at the school.

F-1 Visa holders are allowed on campus employment for 20 hours or less per week without any prior authorization. But if the F-1 holder wishes to work for more hours or outside the campus, then he or she must get authorization from the USCIS.

M-1 Visa:

This Visa is needed if you plan on engaging in non-academic or vocational study in the U.S.

J-1 Visa:

This Visa is offered to students participating in the exchange program. The J Visa holders are allowed to live in the U.S. for a short period of time that is usually limited to one or two semesters.

How to apply for US Student Visa

Once you have chosen the right type of student Visa that suits your requirement, you must apply for it. The application can be done in the following ways:-

Choose the Visa type that is relevant to your situation.Complete the Non-immigration Visa Electronic Application.

Make sure that you complete Form DS-160 before the interview for your U.S. student visa. After completing Form DS-160, print out the confirmation page with the barcode on a laser printer and pay your visa fee.To pay your visa fee, read the Bank and Payment Options page.

You should also make sure that you have the I-120 form, which is a form issued by colleges in the U.S.A. for affirming enrollment, and you should make sure to pay the I-901 fee online through the U.S. Immigration and Customs enforcement website. Save the receipt.

Finally, make an appointment for a U.S.A. student visa interview through the VFSwebsite. This will require you to have your DS-160 barcode number and your bank fee receipt.

Documents to bring to the U.S. student visa interview

When interviewing for your U.S.A. student visa, make sure to bring the following documents with you:

  • Valid passport and previously issued passports
  • Recent passport size photograph with a white background (50mm x 50mm)
  • DS-160 confirmation page with barcode
  • Bank visa application fee receipts
  • VFS appointment letter
  • SEVIS receipt and I-120
  • Documents demonstrating strong financial conditions that will compel you to return to your country after your program of study in the United States ends.
  • Financial and any other documents you believe will support your application and which give credible evidence that you have enough readily-available funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study and that you have access to funds sufficient to cover all expenses while you remain in the United States. 
  • You have to show original copies of bank statements or original bank books.
  • If you are financially sponsored by another person, bring proof of your relationship to the sponsor (such as your birth certificate), the sponsor's most recent original tax forms and the sponsor's bankbooks and/or fixed deposit certificates.
  • Academic documents that show scholastic preparation. Useful documents include school transcripts (original copies are preferred) with grades, public examination certificates (A-levels, etc.), standardized test scores (SAT, TOEFL, etc.), and diplomas.

You should always check to see if changes were made to the required list by visiting the website of the U.S. Embassy near you.

Validity of the student Visa

If the student is taking a break in the studies and is returning after more than 5 months, then they can expect a new F-1 or M-1 Visa based on the following:

  • Students who are in the U.S.
  • A student may lose the F or M status if they do not resume studies within 5 months from the date of transferring to another school or program. Though it can be reinstated by the USCIS so that the F or M Visa is not invalid for future travel to the U.S.

Students returning from the travel abroad

If a student is taking a break from the studies for more than 5 months and travel abroad, then they may lose the F or M status unless their overseas activity was related to their course of study. If they have travelled abroad for activity that is not related to their course of study and are returning after 5 months, then they must apply for a new Visa at the Consulate abroad before travelling to the U.S. to return to their studies.                                                                

      Important documents to carry to U.S.

Once you have arrived in the U.S. at your point of entry, your passport, U.S. student visa, and I-94 will be verified by an immigration official to see if and how long you can be admitted. In general, make sure you have all documentation, including the information for your visa, and photocopies of your passport, just in case. Not having the proper documentation is one of the most common ways to conclude that you should be sent back to your home country.

Canada Student Visa

In Canada, a student visa is often referred to as a 'study permit'.

The student permit (student visa) allows an individual to enter Canada as a full time student at an accredited community college, university or any other institution. In order to be eligible to apply for a student permit, a student must be enrolled in a program of study that culminates in a degree, diploma or certificate and the institution should be listed under Designated Learning institutions (DLI) list authorized by IRCC.


Before you apply for the study permit, you should already have the acceptance letter in hand from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). DLI is a list approved and recognized by the government of Canada.

You are also required to prove that you can afford to pay the expenses during your stay in Canada and that you will leave the country post completion of your course.

You will have to undergo a medical check-up to ensure that you are healthy. Also, there shouldn’t be any criminal record in your name.

Canada student visa requirements

A valid passport is mandatory, which means the passport shouldn’t expire during your stay in Canada. For example, if the duration of your course is for a year and you plan to go Canada on December 1, 2017, then your passport should be valid until December 2018.

Passport Size Photographs

Submission of supporting financial documents – there is a section in Canada student visa application where you have to provide the evidence of fees paid and stipulated living expenditure, which is usually around, CAD 10,000 per annum.

Two latest passport size photographs are necessary (35mm x 45mm) for offline application. If you are applying online then you should have a digital copy of your photo, the size not being more than 4MB.

A statement of purpose stating why you are joining the university that you have chosen to study in and your purpose of staying in Canada is needed.

A Credit Card is required to pay the processing fee for Canada student visa (150 CAD) if you are applying online. Keep in mind that only credit cards are accepted for payment, not debit cards.

If you have opted for offline application, you would need two passport sized photographs that conform to the given standards. For online application, you must have a digital copy of the photograph which should not be more than 4MB. 

Canadian Immigration requires international students from India undergo a compulsory Immigration Medical Examination.

You may also be required to submit scores from English proficiency examinations, such as IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) and other standard examinations like GRE, SAT, GMAT.

Bio-metrics Authentication:-The bio-metric fee costs CAD 85 in addition to the Canadian study visa processing fee.

How to Apply for a Canadian Visa for Study

There are several steps to apply for a visa.

  1. Check the processing times - The visa application cycle might take some weeks. It is advisable to go through the Canadian consulate website to know the approximate time taken to process the student visa. 
  2. Determine how you will apply. There are two ways to apply:
    (a) Apply online
    To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. You will still be required to provide a finger scan at the regional Visa Application Centre (VAC). Remember, in the case of Online Application you need to visit the VFS offices to hand your passports and would have to provide the confirmation of form and fee payment as well. the steps would only vary in terms of documents you need to carry to the VAC.
    (b) Apply in person
    Download the application kit and read the instruction guide. The instruction guide contains important information about study permits and instructions to help you complete your application. Read the guide carefully and use the document checklist.
  3. Fill out the VFS Consent Form and attach it with your application form.  You need this form to get the assistance of VFS services for your visa filing process.
  4. Pay the processing fee - Note that when submitting an application via the VFS, in person or by mail, visa fees must be paid in addition to VFS Global service charges. The processing fee is non-refundable in all cases.
  5. If your spouse/common-law partner and/or children are accompanying you and you are applying for temporary resident visas, work permits or study permits for them, then you will need to pay the appropriate processing fees for them. 
  6. Submit your application and supporting documents - You have to visit the nearest VFS office. Once you are there, pay the service charges and hand them your complete application to obtain a receipt. This receipt contains your unique tracking number which you will need to track the progress of your application online.
  7. In case your application is approved you will receive notification from the Government of Canada requesting for your passport. You can submit the passport and passport request letter in person or through VFS. You would be provided with a Temporary Resident Visa and a Letter of Introduction. 

It is advisable to have an account in the Canadian consulate website/CIC account to know the approximate time taken to process the student visa.

Australia student Visa

Studying in Australia is a great way to experience the unique Aussie lifestyle while gaining great new skills.  Australia has world class universities, practical vocational colleges and outstanding English language schools to support international students.

If you are looking to stay in Australia for an extended period of time, an Australian Student Visa is your best starting point.

Who could get this visa

Before you apply for this visa, you must have:

Been accepted to study full-time at an educational institution in Australia.

organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.

Australian student visa documents.

The DIBP website has a document checklist feature that will provide you with a list of documents required for your specific circumstances. Typically, students must submit the following:


Completed Australian student visa application form (157A)

Paid visa application fee – currently AU$550 

Copy of passport biodata page (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)

Certificate of Enrolment or Letter of Offer

Evidence of sufficient funds

Evidence of health insurance cover

English proficiency test results

Criminal record check results

Four recent passport-sized photographs

After you have assembled and scanned your supporting documents, you’ll need to create an account and apply with the online ‘ImmiAccount’ application system.

Most visa applications take four weeks to process. If you study in Australia for a course that is longer than 10 months and finishes at the end of an Australian academic year (usually mid-December) your visa will usually be valid until 15 March the following year. If your course is longer than 10 months and finishes in January to October, your visa will usually be valid for two months following the completion of your course.

Under some circumstances, it may be possible to apply for a further visa at the end of your course (consult the DIBP website for more details).

Australian student visa requirements:

  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
  • Financial requirements
  • English language requirements for students
  • Health and character requirements

What is a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)?

The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement applies to all student visa applicants. The (GTE) requirement states that the visa applicant must be able to demonstrate a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily for the purpose of study, or to accompany a student as a dependent (i.e. spouse or child) or as a guardian. The decision-makers at the DIBP will consider the following factors:

  • The circumstances in your home country
  • The potential circumstances for you in Australia
  • The value of your chosen course to your future
  • Your immigration history
  • Any other relevant matters

In order to determine whether you meet the GTE requirement, you may be asked to attend an interview at your nearest Australian embassy or consulate.The officer assessing the visa will consider whether the individual circumstances of the student indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia. You must satisfy that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily. Some applicants will only need to fill in a visa application form.

Australia student visa application Form:-

Before applying for Visa, you must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS) or a Letter of Offer confirming that you have been accepted into a course registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions of Courses (CRICOS). 

If you are applying for more than one course in your student visa application, you must include all Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) codes in the application form or the visa may only be granted for the CoE provided.

If you are in Australia, you can apply with one or more letters of offer but you must provide the CoE/s to be granted the visa.

Evidence of funds to support your study:-

Evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition, travel and living costs.The annual income option requires students to provide evidence of personal annual income of at least AUD 60,000.For students accompanied by family members you will also need to show evidence of being able to cover living costs for them the amount is AUD 70,000. In circumstances where both of your parents are working, their combined income can be considered for this requirement. In all cases, the evidence of annual income must be provided in the form of official government documentation, such as a tax assessment. 

To provide evidence of financial capacity, you will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:

  • Evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia, living, course fees.
  • If you are coming to Australia for a short course, you will only need to show evidence of funds for the intended period of stay.
  • Evidence that you meet the annual income requirement
  • an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form (secondary exchange students only).
  • A letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.

The type of evidence, where required, includes money deposit or loan with an approved financial institution, government loan, scholarship or sponsorship. It is important that you attach these documents to your visa application prior to lodgement.

Acceptable English Language Test Score

If you’re not from an English-speaking country and haven’t completed at least five years’ study in an English-speaking country or enrolled in postgraduate research courses you’ll need to prove you can speak English to the required level. The score you will need will depend on whether you are starting a full degree, doing a foundation course, or enrolling on a preliminary English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

The evidence of English Ianguage is required, the following minimum English language test score from the following providers will be accepted: 

English language provider test                    Minimum test score

  IELTS                                                                            5.5                                                                             

*TOEFL paper based                                                    527                                                                              

TOEFL internet based test                                                          46                                                                                  

Cambridge English: Advanced                                                    162                                                                                                       

Pearson Test of English Academic                                               42                                                                                                     

Occupational English Test**                                                      Pass*


*The TOEFL paper based test will only be accepted from limited countries.

** The Occupational English Test includes a mark between A and E. An A or B is considered a pass.

The test must have been taken no more than two years before the student visa application is made.

Where our online application system indicates that documentary evidence of English language proficiency is required, it is important for you to attach these documents to your visa application before lodging your application. Failure to do so may result in visa refusal.

Health requirements:-

As an Australian Student Visa applicant, you must undergo a medical health examination. This will depend on a number of factors:You must meet the health requirements.The health assessment process can take several weeks to complete. To help avoid delays, you can choose to undertake your health examination prior to lodging your visa application.Some students may be asked to take a medical and/or a radiological check-up to show they are in good health (this applies, for example, to those who intend to train as a doctor, dentist or nurse). If told to do so, you must attend an appointment with a doctor who has been approved by the Australian immigration department.

You must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. Students can show this by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.You may purchase this cover through your university, or directly from one of the five approved providers: Australian Health Management, BUPA Australia, Medibank Private, Allianz Global Assistance and nib OSHC. The cost of this health insurance cover will vary depending on the provider and how long you purchase cover for. 

  • Character requirements: Australian student visa requirements stipulate that you must be of good character to enter Australia. This includes a criminal record check, to make sure you don’t have a substantial criminal record. You may also need to acquire a penal clearance certificate (or police certificate) or get a police statement, and may be asked to complete a Character Statutory Declaration Form.

The Student Visa has multiple of benefits and can be the perfect solution to live in Australia.

New Zealand Student Visa

New Zealand’s education system is world-class, modern and responsive.New Zealand may not be the most well known of destinations, but it is highly regarded among international students for its high class education and desirable lifestyle. As a student here you'll be encouraged to be questioning, flexible and to seek your own answers by thinking for yourself.

Currently, New Zealand attracts as many as 90,000 international students every year. By 2025, the nation’s government intends to double this intake to 180,000.

Type of Visa

If you need to stay for longer than three months in New Zealand for your educational program, you’ll need a Student Visa. International full-time (more than 20 hours a week of classes) students should apply to Immigration New Zealand (INZ) for a student visa.

It is worth noting that that certain criteria must be met before anybody can study in the country. To see if you qualify, check the INZ website.

Know Your Documents For The Visa Processing

If you want to attend a university or college in New Zealand you will need a student visa. Following documents will be required for the application purposes:

  • Valid passport – Your passport must be valid for at least three months beyond your period of stay in New Zealand
  • Completed Student Visa Application Form (INZ 1012)
  • Application fee payment receipt, as you are required to pay Rs 11,100 before your interview
  • An offer of place – You need to have an offer of place from a New Zealand institute/university. The forms are usually issued after the tuition fees have been received
  • Letter from your current institution confirming status as a study abroad student
  • Health insurance receipt.
  • You may be required to show Health and Character certificates, to prove that your intention of staying in New Zealand is genuine
  • Two passport sized photographs

Note: Additional documentation may be required. During the personal interview, additional documents may be requested by the interviewer. These may be documents to prove evidence of academic or financial status.

  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
  • Scores from tests that your college required, such as TOEFL, GRE, or GMAT
  • How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs

Visa Processing

The average time taken by the New Zealand High Commission for the visa procedure is anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks depending on the individual’s background. So the students need to apply for their visas at least three months prior to their course commencement.

As an international student, you must complete your course within the minimum course duration listed on your acceptance letter. If you do not yet have a job offer, you may apply for a Post-study work visa. Visas granted are valid for up to 12 months and allow you to work in a temporary job while you look for a job in your field.

In many countries students are required to obtain a visa in order to study for a summer, semester, or year. Each and every country is governed by its own Immigration Laws. These could vary in terms of the requirements of documents to the different proof of funds acceptable to what all the visas would let you do apart from studying in the country. Globalduniya Visa experts outlined the visa requirements for some of the countries like Student Visa For U.S.,Student Visa For Canada,Student Visa For Australia,Student Visa For New Zealand.

In case you have any question. Please ask the question in the comment section, globalduniya visa expert will try to answer the question.

If You are heading to study abroad,visit us we will start working on your visa prerequisites.To know more Contact Us

Also read this, Globalduniya brings an exclusive concept of branded fare recently adopted in travel industry.It’s now more common to see a matrix of fare comparisons between the different branded fare options and the requested itinerary. The airlines also provide a separate comparison chart displaying each of the ancillary services and showing which of those services are offered or bundled into the branded fare.From priority boarding, to lounge access or extra rewards points to additional leg room, individual travelers get a sense that they know what to expect from their entire airline travel experience when booking with a branded fare.The benefit for the customer is that they receive, a good saving on ancillary services. Depending on travel volume, cost savings can add up over time.

Subscribe the blog. We will be regularly offering you important information and also travelers will share their experience with you.

Globalduniya is a diagonally blue online platform, which provides you Flight, Hotel, Cruise, Transfer, Car Rental, Train, Bus, Domestic & International tours with travel insurance.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

Invalid Email Address
Thanks for Subscribing to our Emails, deals, and offers
You have already subscribed to newsletter feed.Thank you!
To get Explosives Travel Deals, Power your travel with awesome flights, hotel and exclusive offers.
Act now, Be Smart – Save Money!!

Social Media

Global sites

Copyright © A joint Service of Globefirst Innovative Traveltech Inc., Canada & Globefirst I.T.P. Limited, India